My name is Janet O'Keefe, I am the Director of Wordswell Speech & Language Therapy which provides therapy to clients in East Anglia and Wordswell Medico-Legal Services which provide expert witness assessments and reports UK wide.
I am also a parent, SEN conference organiser and author/editor.
My motivation in everything I do is to enable everyone to have a voice.
I live in Cambridgeshire with my husband, Murray and our four sons, three dogs, two cats and one rabbit. Our youngest child was born with a life threatening heart condition, combined with adhd and high anxiety along with other social, emotional and behavioural needs as a result of his experiences.
Although we knew the system and had good relationships with local professionals, nothing could have
prepared us for the emotional roller coaster parenting a child with needs has entailed. We have been
to the High Court and SENDIST as parents as well as being a professional expert witness advocating
Wordswell is a group of speech and language therapists dedicated to developing the communication skills of children and adults in the Eastern Region from King's Lynn to Chelmsford, covering Wisbech, Peterborough, Norwich and Ipswich to Stowmarket, Woodbridge and St.Neots with clinics in Bury St Edmunds, Cambridge and Ely.
- Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming,
- Honorary consultant in speech and language therapy for the Twins and Multiple Birth Association (TAMBA)
- Accreditation team member of the National Autistic Society.
- Postgraduate training in working with clients with Asperger Syndrome
- Providing speech therapy with Deaf People including those who have had cochlear implants.
- Providing the SLT service to a specialist school for pupils with Asperger Syndrome in Cambridge for 2 years.
- Special interest in dyslexia and worked for 10 years in a specialist dyslexia school.
- Available nationwide for assessment and attendance in Court or SENDIST as an expert witness.
- My latest book 'Towards a Positive Future' has led to a very succesful and popular annual conference for those within the Special Educational Needs sector.